As we reincarnate from lifetime to lifetime on our soul's journey -- gathering experiences, learning lessons, and fulfilling agreements -- an evolutionary process transpires and that course of development is called, Soul Age.
Soul age refers to how a person has grown from experience on the planet, not just to how many lifetimes he or she has lived. No person is "ahead" or "behind" any other, but is simply occupying another place in the continuous circle leading to and from the Tao.
Each soul age brings a unique perspective and an array of lessons that offer experience, individual choice, and ultimately, the opportunity to learn and evolve.
During this cycle of incarnations, the soul progresses through five soul age stages on the physical plane. Each stage is a mark of the soul's evolution.
Soul Age Stages
1) Infant Souls deal with issues of survival; they do not yet have a basis for making sense of what is “out there”—they only know that it is “not me.” Infant souls often live on the fringes of society, and their experience of life is simple, earthy, primitive, and mystical. Without loving guidance from older souls who teach them the difference between right and wrong, Infant souls may react violently to perceived threats.
Infant Soul Countries: Ethiopia, New Guinea, Cambodia, Areas Near the Equator
Attributes: (+) Innocent, untarnished by culture, purely instinctive (-) Fearful, withdrawn, without conscience, violent
2) Baby Souls have a need for structure and tend to live according to beliefs based on dogma, such as religious fundamentalism. Baby souls, focused as they are on bringing people together under the umbrella of civilization, see others, as being “just like me.” They can become confused and upset when those “other me’s” act differently than expected. Their experience of life is rule-based, rigid, dogmatic, family-oriented, and highly structured around adhering to the laws and mores of an institution or culture -- think of the Middle West and the conscientious drive to be the "model citizen."
Focus: Rules/Laws; right and wrong
Baby Soul Countries: Iran, Iraq, Haiti, Ireland, Libya, Middle East, Mid-West America
Attributes: (+) Community-oriented, law-abiding, family values (-) rule-based, rigid, bland, judgmental, black and white, religious fundamentalists
3) Young Souls are success oriented and set high standards of personal achievement. Young souls are learning to impact the world, and see others as “you”s they can impact. Their experience of life is competitive, industrious, independent, profit-motivated, win-lose, and in pursuit of anything that leads to prosperity. They fear aging, the natural decline of their bodies, and go to great lengths to preserve their status and appearance. Young souls could be the official soul age for face-lifts, Botox injections, and tummy-tucks.
Focus: Success/Achievement; win-lose
Young Soul Countries: USA, China, Israel, United Arab Emirates
4) Mature Souls are relationship oriented and tend to gravitate toward emotional drama. Mature souls, delving into their inner world and exploring relatedness, can keenly feel other people’s “stuff,” and perceive it in the same way they perceive their own. This can make for much intensity and, often, subjectivity. Their experience of life is dramatic, emotional, soap-opera-like, identified, intimate, empathetic, and self-aware.
Mature Soul Countries: England, Austria, Italy, Poland
5) Old Souls seek the larger perspective of life, and have less interest in playing the material game. They tend to be more detached, and try to see themselves and others within a larger context, fostering a "live and let live" motto. Their experience of life is laid-back, easy going, detached from emotional intensity, spiritually-minded, and sometimes a little lazy.
Focus: The Big Picture; Philosophical Perspective
Old Soul Countries: Iceland, Holland, Finland, Czechoslovakia
Soul Age Levels
Each soul age consists of seven levels of development that must be competed before graduating to the next soul age. Each level averages three lifetimes to complete, sometimes more, sometimes less. An Infant soul, for example, would begin at level one and gradually progress through six more levels before moving up to the Baby Soul stage. This continues until the 7th level of the old soul stage is reached. All and all, as Varda Hasselmann mentions in her book, there are thirty-five levels in total that must be completed before cycling-off the planet, the 35 steps of the reincarnational cycle.
JP Van Hulle once described the soul age levels using an analogy of swimming at the beach. Here's an expanded paragraph on that concept:
At the first level we're still adjusting to the new environment. We dip our toe in the water, test how cold it is and wonder if we should get in. At the second level we wade into the water a little further, first up up to our ankles, then to our waist, attempting to anchor ourselves against the undertow and unsure if we're ready to make the plunge. Around the third level we finally dive in and swim below the waves, totally submerged in the experience. At the fourth level we come back up for air and now feel comfortable in the water, plunging beneath the surface for another swim, and occasionally wading into large waves that crash over us. We've discovered that the beach is fun, and we teach others what we've learned. By the time the fifth level arrives we've grown bored and want something new. We grab a surf board and begin riding the waves, expanding on how we can experience the beach with more variety. Around the sixth level another surfer thinks we're hogging the best waves and angrily shoves us off the board. We awkwardly fall back into the water and strike our head against a rock. This could be a karmic repayment. At the seventh level we decide we've had enough and return to the beach, satisfied with the mastery we've achieved and looking forward to our next outing and a new soul age cycle to explore.
Manifested Soul Age
Michael channel Shepherd Hoodwin stated that there are three possible reasons someone is manifesting a lower soul age than her true one:
1) Youth — the person simply hasn't yet had the time to retrace all her steps back to her actual soul age.
2) Review — the soul is choosing to review a younger soul age in order to strengthen some weak areas, such as an old soul reviewing young in order to get better at dealing with the modern world.
3) Being stuck — personality is unwilling to face issues that stand in the way of manifesting at her soul age.
It's not BAD to manifest younger because no soul age is "bad" — it's all good. However, if there's a big gap between the true and manifested ages, it may feel uncomfortable, especially if there is stuckness and essence wants to get the show on the road.
Soul Age Percentage
The current percentage of soul age on the planet follows a distribution of (10% Infant Soul); (23% Baby Soul); (32% Young Soul); (24% Mature Soul); and (11% Old Soul). New Infant Souls are no longer being allowed to incarnate. After the human species has run its complete cycle, a new (or existing) species will be allowed to test the sentient experiment.
Soul Age in the Eyes
Does soul age manifest through the eyes?
INFANT SOULS MANIFEST FEAR. THIS CAN BE SEEN IN THEIR EYES. THIS FEAR IS OUT OF PROPORTION TO THE SITUATION. THE WHOLE BUSINESS OF LIVING IS FEARFUL TO THEM.
BABY SOULS ARE GUILELESS, AND THIS SHOWS IN THEIR EYES.
YOUNG SOULS ARE IN A STATE OF UNREST. THIS OFTEN SHOWS UP IN ERRATIC EYE MOVEMENTS: THE INABILITY TO HOLD EYE CONTACT FOR LONG.
MATURE SOULS FIND IT DIFFICULT TO MAINTAIN EYE CONTACT BECAUSE OF DISCOMFORT.
OLD SOULS HAVE A DIRECT, PENETRATING STARE ABSENT IN EARLIER CYCLES. WISDOM IS REFLECTED THERE.
SOURCE: Michael Teachings Transcripts
Soul Age & Spiritual Advancement (Misconceptions)
The degree to which you are spiritually awake denotes your level of consciousness, not your soul age. This message bears repeating since the concept of soul age has been greatly misunderstood by our students,
Soul age, of course, may act as a natural reinforcement of consciousness, bolstered by the reincarnational experience acquired, but this offers no guarantee that the conscious level of a soul will be commensurate with the soul age stage.
To illustrate, rays of the sun that heat the equator also strike the Arctic circle, but the sun in the Arctic is low on the horizon and the light is never direct. That is why it is colder in the Arctic. A soul without the direct, loving rays of essence could also be considered as receiving light that is low on the horizon, and this may occur at any soul age. In other words, strictly based on hierarchical measurement, an old soul is not necessarily more advanced than a younger soul. That advancement is measured by the level of consciousness in each soul.
As already stated, the level of consciousness is a measurement of how much an incarnating soul is "spiritually awake." The higher the occurrence of negative states in a personality, the lower the level of consciousness. In that respect, being awake is entirely possible in the younger soul stages. Instances exist where a 7th level old soul can possess a lower level of consciousness than a 7th young. It all depends on the quality of inner work being done by that personality.
Spiritual advancement is not directly linked to soul age. Soul age is merely an estimate of the course curriculum completed in the reincarnational cycle. Greater states of awareness may be achieved during this progression and applied to ensuing lifetimes, but work is still needed to smooth out the rough edges. Like everything else in the teaching, the decision to evolve spiritually is a choice.
While the collective reincarnational experience of soul age may lead to spiritual development, its course of study does not immediately bestow a level of consciousness on an incarnating soul that's better or worse than another. The metamorphosis of a tadpole into a frog merely requires the time for the biological process to occur; the stages of life from infant child to an elderly adult requires that the life is lived. Any spiritual growth that transpires during that progression comes from facing life's experiences at a state of awareness that's transformative.
Therefore, higher consciousness is the product of a personal choice to gain mastery over negative states and in so doing awaken to the truest potential of the soul.
CHANNELED by David Gregg
Summary of Soul Ages
Yarbro Gave Mottos For Each Of The Soul Ages:
Infant: Lets not do it.
Baby: Do it right or don't do it at all.
Young: Do it my way.
Mature: Do it anyplace but here.
Old: You do what you want and I'll do what I want.
Soul Age Articles
Read the following articles to expand your understanding of soul age and the evolution of the soul.
Soul Ages and Levels (Recommended Reading)
Classic Michael material excerpted from Joya's wonderful book, The World According to Michael. If you need to improve your understanding of soul evolution, then this is a great read. Joya's sagey writing style is a special treat.
More On Soul Age
Another overview of soul age, offering insights on infant, baby, young, mature, and old souls.
Soul Age Levels Chart (35 Levels of Reincarnation)
Handy chart to reference the different soul age levels.
Soul Age Levels
Learn about the seven soul age levels.
Channeling On Soul Age
Shepherd Hoodwin channels about soul age. Excellent material.
More Channeling On Soul Age
A continuation of Shepherd Hoodwin's series.
Q&A On Soul Age
Channeled answers to various soul age questions.
Soul Age By Countries
The channeled soul age of various countries.
Mature/Old Soul Comparison Chart
A look at some of the differences between these two soul ages.
Manifested Soul Age
Our manifested soul age is the average level of our personality’s perspective at a given time.
Older Is Not Better
It is not better to be an old soul than to be mature or young, just as it isn’t better to be forty-five years old than it is to be thirty-two or fourteen.
Detecting Soul Age
When we jump to conclusions about someone's soul age based on current negative behavior, how do we know whether we're seeing the full extent of that person's soul development, or just human immaturity?
The Mature Soul Society
A thorough exploration of what a mature soul society might be like. Highly recommended reading.
Celebrity Soul Ages (and overleaves)
Find the soul age of celebrities.
Old Souls Coping in a Mature Soul World
Some suggestions on how to do it.
Additional Thoughts on the Soul Ages
Michael channel Shepherd Hoodwin offers additional insights, along with a Q&A format.
Trends in Soul Age
Fascinating observations on the various trends that can occur as the soul progresses through a linear cycle of lifetimes.
Comments On Soul Age
Interesting discussion on the break down of soul age in the population, and comments on how to discern soul age.
Soul Age Polarities
Soul age lessons are examined in the form of a diary. Fascinating perspective.
Astral Schools and Soul Levels
Learn about the schools on the astral plane.
You Know You're An Old Soul When...
A humorous page about old souls and the MT in general.
Did You Enjoy This Article? Share It With Your Friends
Shop at the
New Age Store